Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter Movie


My sister was here on Easter and we were deciding on a movie to watch. Steel Magnolias was what we wanted to watch because itwas so fitting.......and it's a great movie. One of my all time favorites. And, it starts with an easter scene and ends with an easter scene so that makes it an easter movie, right? Anyway, Ben had made the rule a fewyears ago that I wasn't allowed to watch this movie anymore while I am pregnant. Understandably so too. But, I over-ruled him this time. His reasoning is because one of the characters is a diabetic woman.....and so am I. She goes through some struggles in the movie and it makes me cry. Much to her mothers dismay, she decides to have a baby. Her doctors strongly discourage it but Shelby(Julia Roberts) doesn't care because she wants a baby of her own. I am on my third baby now and have support from my doctors so it is a bit different for me. She has the baby and within a year or two she needs dialysis and a kidney transplant and eventually gets sick and falls into a coma and they have to turn off the machines and let her die. Okay, who wouldn't cry at that?? I especially cry though because it hits so close to home for me. A diabetic woman who takes care of herself can have a healthy baby and be healthy now but it is still very hard and a lot of hard work and there are tons of risks involved. But, in the movie it needed to be dramatic so they portrayed it as a deadly thing. Anyway, watching this movie makes me sob at the possibility that I too could die from having children. It is not as likely that it would happen so quickly but I do have a lot of strain already.......but nonetheless it is worth it to me. But, what makes me cry is a scene where Shelby has died and her mother goes to pick up her young child from an aunt's house. He comes running, very happy to see his grandma, oblivious to the fact that he will never see his mom again. I sit and wonder what Mia and Dallin and this new one would do if I died at such a young age for me and for them. Would they cry and mourn the loss of me......would they even understand or remember me? I'd like to think so but part of me thinks that it would be easier if they didn't. That is what makes that movie a tear jerker for me. I do not plan on dying young but it could happen. Diabetes is not a fun disease to have but it is manageable and I plan to keep it that way. I will continue to watch this movie and cry every time. And, if you have never seen it, I strongly encourage you to watch it and cry your tears too. Ben is so good too.....he always comforts me as I sob. I can tell he really likes the movie too, even though he won't admit it. Beyond the sad parts it is awesome.

7 comments:

Rachael said...

This movie has always been a favorite of mine too! It is intense but has some great comic relief. My colors are Blush and Bashful!

Emily said...

Oh man, that is sad!! I almost cried just reading your post! That movie always makes me teary too.

Anonymous said...

Nanner,
Stop....This is your biggest sister, Amanda, I want to see some Easter pictures, since I was working and could not attend. Please!

JLMartin said...

what a depressing post!

Skye said...

I saw the play once, but I've never seen the movie version. It's funny, but that play was the first thing that put it into my head that having a baby can be dangerous for a diabetic. I know it's just a movie, but I've worried about you to some degree, and it's somehow really nice/comforting/funny/poignant to hear your thoughts as they relate to this movie. I like that you like it. Now I want to watch the movie version. I bet Jared will be thrilled when I ask to watch it some Friday night :)

Anna@Exasperation said...

Diane! That was a sad post...don't die, please.
BUT I do love this movie and I agree; definately an Easter movie:)

Jill said...

I haven't seen that movie in so many years! I only remembered that the mom dies, I forgot it was diabetes! No wonder you ball. Plus the pregnancy hormones. Don't do that to yourself, girl! You are so tough, and have been so good about getting the go ahead from all your doctors. Take it easy, and everything will be wonderful. Love you!