Monday, September 24, 2007

More Pain Than Having A baby!!


On Thursday, I had surgery. I have been suffering from a bumb shoulder for 15 months now. I originally hurt it after having radiation last year and I was pretty sick and my body was weak. Who would have ever thought you could hurt your shoulder pushing your daughter on a swing? That's how weak I was. It started to feel better and I didn't think much of it. Then I tried to wakeboard. Needless to say it started to hurt again. I went and saw a surgeon for it and some pain in my thumbs. I wound up having surgery on my thumbs and not much for my shoulder. Meanwhile, it got worse. Then, in February when we moved here it took about a month before I couldn't move it much anymore. I was told I had a frozen shoulder. LUCKY ME! What causes a frozen shoulder? Who the heck knows? Not even the doctors do. But, they do know that if you have diabetes and thyroid problems you are at a greater risk for getting one. That was two strikes against me. AND, radiation pretty much hashed my shoulder. I delt with the pain for a while, then decided to have surgery. I came home with this nifty little bag of pain medicine that was attached to my neck. It was great while it lasted. I was numb and pain free until Saturday morning. But, as all good things must come to an end.....so did it. Through the numbness, Ben had to stretch my arm out every hour. I think he even enjoyed it to a certain degree. I didn't mind so much either. Once I could feel my arm again, he still had to stretch me every hour, and I thnk we both decided it wasn't fun anymore. The anesthesiologist said that shoulder surgery is the second most painful surgury(thoracic surgery where they cut your ribs open is first) and she made a believer out of me. I don't cry very easilywith pain. But,I was bawling like a baby. Trust me, it was ten times worse than labor pains, and that is not just becauseI had an epidural. I've decided these stretches are a necessary evil and I have stuck with them. Despite the pain I am doing quite well. But, from now on I am going to treat my shoulders with care. I guess that means I can kiss wakeboarding good-bye......yessssss.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Angel said...

Sick and I can't believe you let Ben take that picture of you and then you posted it on the blog.

Val said...

My gosh, as if you haven't been through enough already!

Anonymous said...

You are one tough cookie...!! Keep at it!