Monday, May 05, 2008

HAPPY 6th ANNIVERSARY TO US!

Yesterday (the 4th) was our 6th anniversary. I don't have a scanner so I can't put up one of our wedding pictures so you can see how much we've changed. So since I don't have that, then why put up a current picture either. I'm tired peole! I have to admit with shame that I totally forgot about it. I swear it is pregnancy brain and not my lack of love for Ben. We hadn't even talked about it in anticipation and apparently I didn't think about it on my own either. So, on Friday we went to my parents' house to help them open their pool. When we got there Ben asked me where I wanted to go for dinner. I was like, what are you talking about......mom already made dinner. It's our anniversary on Sunday and I called your mom to see if she would mind watching the kids while we went to dinner. Since I am usually the one to remember and do something nice and Ben isn't, I felt dumb at that point. So, our options were to drive another 45 minutes to this really nice shopping center in Birmingham that has some nice restaurants or to stay closer to home. I was already in pain from the 1 1/2 drive over so I reluctantly said, lets go somewhere around here because I knew my options were slim. Where did we wind up going you ask? To the PELL CITY STEAK HOUSE!
My parents live in Pell City, AL and I lived there for 6 years before going to college. Every time I have come home to visit the town has changed a little and gotten a little bigger but the pell city steak house has always remained. As you can see from the picture it looks like it is lacking something to be desired. After my mom informed me that the food there is actually good we decided, what the heck, we'll give it a whirl. When we got there, the first thing I noticed was a sign on the wall that said, "Please don't touch the animals." As I looked around for some animals I finally realized what animals they were talking about. Stuffed deer heads and birds all over the walls. Then, as I looked around at the people I realized there were only old people and skanks there. But, we were there so we couldn't leave, right? We were seated and a lady came around and took our orders. And much to our surprise......THE FOOD WAS ACTUALLY GOOD!! My favorite part was when the lady came to fill up our water and I said thank you and she said back, "your sure welcome, baby". There's nothing like that southern hospitality. Ben got a steak and I got a hamburger because of course I didn't feel well. When we got up to pay they had an ancient cash register and these display stands of just as ancient looking wrigley's gum and certs mints. I spotted the bowl of complimentary mints. Andes mints.....score......until I saw the handwritten paper sign that said 10 cents on it. Dang it! The consensus is......we would definitely go back there for a burger someday.

7 comments:

Lawther family said...

Happy anniversary. :) Its crazy how some of the scary looking places can actually turn out good huh? Glad you didn't end up eating any of those animals on the wall! :)

Suzanne said...

Happy anniversary! Hey, we all forget some stuff, sometimes.

I tagged you on a blog thingy--check my blog.

Jessica said...

Nothing like some good home-town cookin'!

Congrats on your anniversary!

Tiffany said...

you wish I had favorites... by the way, Dave's always look'n for a good place to have a burger so we'll have to try that place out someday.

Kim said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad the food ended up being good. Danny and I will be celebrating #7 this September. Yup. Lucky #7. Man time flies.

Jill said...

How romantic! First that you forgot and then the abundance of dead animals on the walls. :) I know what you mean about the pregancy on the brain! What a good husband to set it all up for you. Happy Anniversary!

Anna@Exasperation said...

We had our 6th anniversary on the 7th of May. I forgot we were so close on our anniversaries. Maybe one year we'll come to that dead-animal restaurant with you. Sweet!